Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It’s goodbye for a while! Only for a while!

I recently attended one my friend’s marriage where I met her neighbour uncle. All the friends were supposed to stay at his place since he had offered to help. He was very kind old man, a kind of caring figure. He had lost his wife some time back and his children were in US. Still, he preferred to stay in India and help out people. Somehow, I got very connected to him and his way of talking to us like we were his grand children. There was not a single point where he showed any grief about his wife but kept on joking and helping in the chores of marriage despite his age. He died 2 days back. I felt really sad for him even though I had met him only once.

There is another incident from my childhood days in Bhopal, when I had gone to a super market with my parents and was waiting for them, on the scooter outside. Around 2-3 shops to the left of the market was a hospital. Suddenly, there was a high pitched screaming noice and I saw 2-3 strong men trying to hold her back in a Sumo. But this lady she kept on screaming and crying. I went closer and I could her clearly now.
‘Why are you all not letting me in? Why can’t I see him? Tell me he is fine. What happened to him? Please tell me he will be fine. I will not be able to live without him.’
I was dumbfounded and shocked and seriously I was just not able to bear her cries of agony.

Death does triggers such weird and sad emotions that even the strongest one amongst us break down. I was reminded of both these incidents today and felt that I should just take them off my heart. I really never wanted to write on this matter as it makes me sad, but I have also met some people, some friends who have defied this pain and always remain cheerful about the fact that there are still more people whom you love and who wish to see you happy. You need to smile for them. These people cannot replace the special someone who has gone but they will be your biggest strength in healing your pain over the time.

So, this is just a toast to the spirit of such people who go on spreading happiness around…and who believe that goodbyes are only for a while ..a short while until you meet your precious ones..high up there…!

3 comments:

  1. I can accept death but not without a reason and if a noble soul is lost in some freak accident.
    -----------------------------------------------
    I read with sorrow but no great surprise about the death of a colleague in a road mishap. His was, just a face to me in the crowd, till the day he departed. The death of a person in his early 30's ,the only breadwinner in the family, was enough to tip his family off. He had many unfinished businesses, many things to work on.. but alas, he is no more. He is survived by his wife, a two year old daughter and a mother. It will take them long to come to terms with the paralyzing loss. Is there any compensation to their loss, a wife lost her husband, a daughter lost her father, a mother lost her only son.. Ohhh God.. you made the stones cry. Hey Almighty I pray to you, I don't know what to ask or expect, you know that better but please give the family the courage and support to sustain in this world of yours.
    The loss of my colleague plagued me by a myriad of feelings triggered by the fact that it was accidental (and therefore preventable), that in part it was the result of somebody’s negligence (at the time the county was trying to develop new infrastructure, better roads, flyovers -for better traffic control, he was run over by some vehicle), and that it seemed to me that it was contrary to all natural laws – parents are supposed to die before children, not the other way around.
    His sudden death left me feeling shaken, unsure and vulnerable. Life is so unjust and intolerable at times.

    The same question rings my mind again and again, what if tomorrow is the day when I die?? Since death is not in my hand but my life is, let me make more out of life before life takes me to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. harsh fact.. some ppl are remembered & some vice versa.. due to the work they do...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rajat - hmm..it really is in our hands to deal!
    kiran- yes..we will always remember such ppl who have touched our lives!

    ReplyDelete